Friday, October 28, 2011

Special Collection

Perhaps it is because at heart I will always be that child book nerd who is reading under a tree while everyone else is running around playing tag.  But I really loved seeing the special collection of rare books at Bird Library.  I was very impressed with the first edition Alice in Wonderland, Gulliver’s Travels, Origin of Species, etc.  And I love the effort and work that went into all those handmade leather bindings.  It did open my eyes to the importance of book preservation, something that I had honestly never given much thought to before.  I think it speaks volumes that even with all the incredible technology available today, there is still enough value placed in books that someone would spend hours and hours repairing a single book (for example, the fairy tale book that was reconstructed).  Pretty impressive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment