Thursday, September 15, 2011

Innovation

I wrote down this quote during class last week: 

‘We are new to this (the field of librarianship).  We have the ability to look at it with a new set of eyes.  We can tell where things need to be changed.’ 

I’m taking that as a challenge.  A challenge to be radical; to actively seek what things can be improved.  A challenge as well to be someone with enough gusto to actually make a change.  I’ve never considered myself much of a leader…I’m much more comfortable being given an assignment by someone else.  You can be certain I will work hard and complete that assignment the absolute best I can, but I’m still being the follower, not the innovator.  I think this is a role where I have gotten comfortable, and where I feel most confident.  Problem is, its not really stepping out of my comfort zone at all because it doesn’t require me to take any risks- to propose an idea that not everyone will agree with (I’ve never been very good at any form of conflict), or to attempt something that might fall apart.  These are my insecurities about being a leader; but I’m realizing those are things I’m going to have to get over if I’m going to be working in this field.  I shouldn’t be naive about job security- this world is changing, and librarians to have to potential to be left behind if we don’t change with it.  This calls for innovation!  For taking risks!  For looking for things that need to be improved and doing something about it!  Not one of my strengths yet, but certainly something to consider and work on.                         

No comments:

Post a Comment